Application Deadline : 12 November 2021
The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine in the Helmholtz Association (MDC) is one of the world’s leading biomedical research institutions. Max Delbrück, a Berlin native, was a Nobel laureate and one of the founders of molecular biology. At the MDC’s locations in Berlin-Buch and Mitte, researchers from some 60 countries analyze the human system – investigating the biological foundations of life from its most elementary building blocks to systems-wide mechanisms. By understanding what regulates or disrupts the dynamic equilibrium in a cell, an organ, or the entire body, we can prevent diseases, diagnose them earlier, and stop their progression with tailored therapies. Patients should benefit as soon as possible from basic research discoveries. The MDC therefore supports spin-off creation and participates in collaborative networks. It works in close partnership with Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin in the jointly run Experimental and Clinical Research Center (ECRC ), the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) at Charité, and the German Center for Cardiovascular Research (DZHK). Founded in 1992, the MDC today employs 1,600 people and is funded 90 percent by the German federal government and 10 percent by the State of Berlin.
The Scientific Infrastructures support and enable a wide portfolio of technologies and methodologies by specialized Scientific Technology Platforms, which are essential for the research approaches at the MDC. MDC researchers as well as Technology Platforms collaborate with Berlin based research and medical institutions and with leading international partner institutions and their respective infrastructures.
The Electron Microscopy Technology Platform at the MDC is seeking a Postdoc to support the research groups in all kind of EM-related projects. The facility has a range of modern resources for specimen preparation und imaging (Thermo Fisher Talos and Morgagni, Zeiss 910, Leica EM ICE and AFS2, several ultramicrotomes including cryosectioning). Currently, a FIB-SEM (Thermo Fisher Helios 5CX) is established together with the neighbour institute FMP on the campus, and we envisage the shift to high resolution 3D methods including block face imaging (FIB-SEM) and array tomography.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide mainly EM service for a large variety of research projects to discover molecular mechanisms leading to cardiovascular/metabolic diseases, cancer, neurodegeneration and others. The specimen we investigate range from isolated organelles, cells, organoids and the common animal models like mouse, zebrafish and C. elegans up to the unique species naked mole rat.
Special emphasis is given to the establishment of the new volume-EM techniques (FIB-SEM and Array Tomography) and the use and development of correlative approaches with the Advanced Light Microscopy Technology Platform in the institute.
The complete EM Technology Platform team consists of the leader, the (new) Postdoc and one technician. The current members are both well-experienced and in permanent positions.
The tasks of the Postdoc include but are not limited to:
- provision of a highest quality service in performing EM projects including project consulting, sample preparation, microscopy, quantification and interpretation/documentation of the data
- maintenance and management of the microscopes and the other equipment
- support and training of guest users with different levels of expertise
- application and further development of new, innovative methods for preparation, imaging and data processing
- management of multiple projects in parallel
- communication of achievements and provided services inside the MDC as well as inside the EM community
Applicants should hold a PhD in the life sciences or medicine. Several years of experience in classical and modern EM methods is essential for this position. Further requirements are:
- excellent organizational and communication skills, enjoy helping users with different knowledge or cultural backgrounds
- experiences with working in a EM service facility are of great advantage
- knowledge of methods like correlative multimodal microscopy (CLEM), immuno-EM and modern volume-EM (FIB-SEM, Array tomography) would be helpful
- experiences in image processing and analysis are desirable
- professional command of both spoken and written German and English
- passion for science & technology, team spirit to work in a technology platform
- International working environment with communication in English and German
- Interesting career opportunities and a comprehensive range of qualification and further training opportunities
- Compatibility of family and career certified by the berufundfamilie audit
- Varied support for “New Berliners” (Welcome & Family Office)
- Company health management with fitness center
You also benefit from:
- A remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the federal public service (TVöD-Bund), including additional company pension schemes
- Flexible working hours and childcare support
- An idyllic green campus, which is easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or car